Peter Collins concentrates his practice in general litigation with an emphasis on insurance defense and coverage, construction, personal injury, aviation, medical malpractice, and products liability claims, including wrongful death. Peter represents insurers, manufacturers, contractors, and a variety of businesses and individuals. He also represents people with serious injury claims. In addition, Peter Collins has represented trucking and construction companies in wrongful death and injury litigation since 1990.
A former prosecuting attorney, Peter has substantial jury trial experience in civil, medical malpractice, and personal injury litigation matters, with over 80 jury trials. He was chief trial counsel for Associated Aviation Underwriters in a massive environmental insurance coverage dispute in Tucson, Arizona, from 1996 through 2005.
Peter is a Judge Pro Tem for The Arizona Superior Court in Pima County and has served as a mediator and arbitrator in various commercial disputes, both on assignment from the Court and in private settings, since 2006.
Peter served in the United States Air Force (Lt. Col., 1969-1973) and the Air National Guard from 1973-1991. He flew over 4,000 hours in jet fighter and other aircraft with the U.S. Air Force and Air National Guard in 22 years of service and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross three times.
Peter was a founder of the re-formed Arizona State Bar College of Trial Advocacy. He has remained on the Board in various positions, and has been on the teaching faculty every year since 2005.
He has been recognized for Insurance Law and Personal Injury Litigation in The Best Lawyers in America® every year since 2009, and was selected for inclusion on the Southwest Super Lawyers® list for Insurance Coverage since 2014. Peter is recognized as AV® Preeminent™ rated by Martindale Hubbell®, representing the highest rating in legal ability and ethical standards.
Peter is an active Board member of Therapeutic Riding of Tucson, a charity that provides equine therapy to children with developmental disabilities and veterans who suffer from PTSD.
- State Bar of Arizona
- Executive Council, Trial Practice Section (Chair, 2005-2007)
- Arizona College of Trial Advocacy (Presenting Faculty Member, 2010; Chair, 2006-2007; Board Member, 2008-2017)
- Military Committee
- Veterans Benefits and Resources Seminar (Faculty Member)
- Civil Practice and Procedure Committee
- American Bar Association
- Forum on Air and Space Law
- Litigation Section
- Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
- Tucson Defense Bar
- Pima County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Ohio State Bar Association (former chairman, Law Related Education Committee)
- Arizona Supreme Court Committee on Keeping of the Record (2004-05)
Presentations & Publications
- “Cross Examination of Adverse Expert Witness,” Arizona College of Trial Advocacy (July 2014-2016)
- “Cross-Examination of Plaintiff,” Arizona College of Trial Advocacy (July 2010)
- “Demonstration of Direct Examination of an Expert Witness,” Arizona College of Trial Advocacy (July 2008)
- “Demonstration of Direct Examination of Party,” Arizona College of Trial Advocacy (July 2008)
- “Demonstration of Voir Dire for the Defense,” State Bar of Arizona, CLE by the Sea (June 2007)
- “ABC’s and Ethics of Mediation,” State Bar of Arizona Convention (June 2006)
- “Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims,” National Business Institute (June 2006)
- “Morris, Damron and Peaton Agreements,” State Bar of Arizona, CLE by the Sea (June 2006)
- “Sweetheart Deals and Squeezes,” American Bar Association Insurance Committee (March 2005)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation; Insurance Law; Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants; Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs (2009-2022)
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Insurance Coverage (2012-2021)
- Therapeutic Riding of Tucson (Board Member)
- Tucson AIDS Project (former Board Member)
- Tucson Classics (former Tournament Chairman)
- Southern Arizona Legal Aid Inc, Volunteer Lawyers Program (2003-present), Volunteer Lawyer of the Month (December 2015)